2013 Reports

December Update - Season Over - Happy Holidays To All!!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Tuesday, 17 December 2013 05:05

We finished up our season with a few blackfish trips the first weekend of December - bass fishing was done by Thanksgiving :(  Overall we had a great season, and had our best season ever in terms of amount of trips we sailed.  Thanks to all that sailed with us and made it as successful as it was!!

We will be returning to the water in April, hopefully to a spring striper jig bite that alluded us last spring.

**Holiday Gift Cards are available - just give Capt. Allen a call (201)248-5281 or shoot him a text at the same # **

Happy Holidays to all that frequent our site - without you guys this wouldn't be possible!
10/20 Weekend Report -- Jumbo Blues to 22# and Some bass showing!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Monday, 21 October 2013 04:20

Finally got back out this weekend!!

Jig fishing for JUMBO bluefish is on fire.  We had fish to 22# this weekend and loads of them!  Bass are also starting to show in our area, and some nice fish have been taken also on the jigs.  Sandeels, rainfish, and other baitfish are literally all over the area and the huge body of stripers is moving down from LI so look for these fish to get here within the next week or so!!

We have openings on the OB page for the coming few trips.  If interested, get in on the action now!

(All pics in gallery!)
10/3 Update
Written by Capt.Allen   
Thursday, 03 October 2013 04:10

Unfortunately last weekend BOTH of our trips were blown out due to the NE winds.  Fishing was off, the ocean was sloppy, and we're happy we canned the trips because talking to other boats who tried (many others did cancel) - we made the right call!

We have open trips the next few weekends, check the open boat page!

And... Congrats to Fred Monaco for winning our seasonal fluke pool!  8#10 oz. was the winning fish this year for Fred, which also is a personal best for him!  There aren't many who fish harder than Fred, and there are even fewer who spend as much time dedicated to the craft of fluke fishing - he deserves it!!!

FYI Email is on the fritz.  Call or text me for reservations (201)248-5281!!!
9/22 Update
Written by Capt.Allen   
Sunday, 22 September 2013 09:01

Very quick update....  Fluking has slowed considerably, but bluefish action is good and the BEST NEWS:  SEABASS OPENS NEXT WEEKEND!



Saturday 9/7 Update - Fluking Still very good!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Saturday, 07 September 2013 10:35

For the first time in a few years we are actually catching fluke into September!

Fishing is generally good and we are still seeing 20+ keepers a trip with lots of guys catching limits.  Big fish every trip have averaged around 7#.  Bucktails and gulp have been the ticket as they have been all summer long.

Reports (8/21 to 9/6):

8/21:  Had Russ, Kathy, Fred, Phil, and Bob F onboard today for our special deepwater wreck trip (finally got it in!!)

Ran out east to start on a wreck 30 miles from our inlet, to find a dive boat setting up on the piece [Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)] Capt was lucky enough to let us get a pass on the piece I wanted to hit since he was just getting in - good thing we didn't settle in because all we had there were bergall bites.Ran to the north to another wreck in 240' - a good amount of ling came up. Moved to another piece about a mile further away in a tad shallower, even more ling of mixed sizes from little hot dogs to nice 3-4#ers.  Then hit a wreck in 140' (very high profile wreck) and again had bergalls. Hit another rockpile in about 115' and had, you guessed it, more bergalls. Finally found some cod on another pile with debris which has been very good to us in years past, and pulled 3 cod off of it, one being a "NJ" keeper of 21.5" but not a federal keeper by Kathy. Fred also pulled the biggest sea raven off this piece I've ever seen at 4# 4oz.  We then hit another wreck further north for a few ling, and finally settled in on another wreck in 220' up further in the hole and pulled even more ling off of it, and for the first time in 6 years, I lost an anchor to a wreck and a net that was basically wound into the wreck [Mad] Wound up with a box full of ling, and the sea raven. The crew was great, they all went home with nice bags of meat. Back for more fun later this week after a day off tomorrow!

Almost forgot -- Sidebars to today (there were several):

1. We were boarded, 24 miles from out inlet, by the NY DEC checking our fish and documentation. The guys were beyond nice, and spent some time chit-chatting with us about their boat and what the hell they were doing in our area. We even donated a ling to their cause because the one officer was a trainer for recruits for fish ID purposes.

2. While we were on the hook ling fishing at the last piece, we had a 12' hammerhead circling the boat.

 8/24:  Had Mike aka Sharkyispy's annual JCAA fluke tournament charter today. Along with Mike were Kenny, Scott, Sean, Larry, and Fred.
Hard NNE winds early made the ocean "sporty" and we basically had to stay inshore all day long. Once we got off a mile + early it was NASTY as a south current was running off the beach right into the wind making the ocean gnarly.  So, we worked our way up the line, and got our lines in. First fish, by Fred, was a 19" keeper. Thereafter we picked some shorts and keepers here and there. By around 10:30 the wind laid down and we were able to run a bit more, so we did some looking finally off the beach and found a few patches of keepers and one fish around 4# by Fred.  At 2, we started working our way back south. At that point we had about 10 keepers in the box - so we hit a few hills and shell beds, nothing but shorts. Finally got settled in on a rockpile close to home and had very good fishing right on that pile for mostly keeper sized fluke until we had to go in at 345 to make weigh-ins.

Wound up with 22 keepers, with the biggest taken by Fred which was good for 9th place in the tournament in our port out of 37 boats - not bad but we could've done better. Very tough day fishing. The guys ground it out and worked tirelessly for every one of those 22 that made it to the box. Larry led the way with 7 keepers, and Fred had the biggest while all the guys put at least 2 in the box. Great group of guys as always - congrats to Jerry and the crew on the Monger for taking the port prize in point!

8/25:  Today Capt Kenny and new/old supermate Joey had J's crew on board for a fluke/bluefish trip.  For starters half of the crew was 1.5 hours late, so the guys didn't leave the slip till almost 8AM.  Kenny basically fished most of the fluke spots which produced for us on Saturday and some new pieces, however fluke fishing was horribly slow with only shorts, skates, and would-be keeper seabass coming up.  They then switched to bluefish after taking a ride, but missed the bite as the bluefish shut off by 11AM.  The crew called it an early day by 1:30 as more than half of the crew was seasick and only part of the crew was actively fishing. Kenny and Joe did everything they could to get these guys on the fish, it just wasn't their day.

8/28:  We had Bob F on for his birthday fluke trip today along with Larry, Fred, and Fred's brother Larry.  Took a ride to start the day, had 3 keepers in the first 15 minutes, then we redrifted that area 3X, and only had a couple of shorts. Made a few moves, and only caught shorts, so we finally made another move and got into some fish. We had a few real nice flurries to start where we had 3-4 keepers a drift, but then that sorta dried up, so again, we made another move, caught a few more, then again had the bite dry up. See a pattern?

Finished the day closer to home - had another good drift with a few keepers, but you guessed it, the bite dried up QUICKLY. Called it a day around 330 - didn't see a drop of rain all day also [Smile]

For the day we literally eeked out the 4 man crew's limit of 20 keeper fluke -- a good majority of those keepers were right @ 18" (no real close ones) but we did have 3 fish in the 3-5# range. We did have 2 doubleheaders today, one consisting of 2 fluke by Larry M, and the other consisting of a legit 19" 3# seabass and a keeper fluke by Fred. Larry (flukemaster!) had the best fish of the day @ 5#, and we had a tie for HH with 4 fish.

8/30:  Today we had our long time customer Doug W charter the boat w/ his lady Sherri. Game plan was to fluke for a bit then switch to blues and possibly switch to bottom fishing. Fluked locally, caught shorts. Wasn't really that good with the swell.

We then ran north to where the bluefish have been being caught and we had a slow pick of gator sized blues in the 12-15# range on krocs, stingo's and 47's. Fishing again at best was a slow pick as we were basically drifting through the fleet and dropping the jigs on readings - which were at times THICK - but we weren't catching what we saw on the machine. Nevertheless we bent the rods a bit with these big bluefish (good to see them around again - yes I said that!!)

After a few hours of that, the crew wanted to try their hand at bottom fishing for porgies and triggers. That was NG as we read the porgies inshore, but the bite was very slow -- only had some seabass and taylor sized blues.

8/31:  Had Billy onboard for his annual fluke trip. Joined by Billy were his dad Bill, Derek, Dave, Brian M, and Larry Flukemaster filled the last spot.  Forecast was iffy from the get-go but we decided to give it a shot. Broke the inlet and were greeted with steady SW winds as we worked our way offshore to some pieces we haven't fished in a while. Once we got out there, the seas were stacked 4-6' with the hard SSW wind but we gave it a go. Larry banged the first keeper which was his best of the season, a beautiful 7.25# fish - the rest of the fish we pulled from that piece were shorts. After a half dozen drifts and a general ass beating, we headed back inshore a tad to fish some high spots, and pulled a few keepers.  We then bounced around to a few rockpiles, and pulled a few more keepers topped by Brian's personal best (7.25# - Larry's fishes twin!)

By 12:30 the wind picked up another notch and even the inshore spots were tough to fish with a fast drift and generally really sloppy conditions.

We bagged it a tad early, and were back at the dock by 2 with 10 keepers in the box. 9 of those fish were over 20", some nice quality fish today topped by 4 fish over 5#. Great crew as always, it's great having these guys on the boat - fishing was definitely tough as the guys earned those fish today, but considering what we had to deal with we certainly had an ok day!  Great crew as always!

9/5:  Had the guys from the SWABC on today and WMD Fred filled the last spot of the charter (5 guys).
Took a ride today and found a confused, washing machine chop with the hard west wind, N current, and SE swell. On the first piece we picked some shorts and a quick keeper, but that dried up fast. We then ran in on the beach and caught some more shorts, but that also was NG.

We then took a little longer ride to fish a piece I personally haven't fished in nearly 10 years and found immediate action with short and keeper fluke. Lots of fish, loads of bites, and lots of action. Sometimes we had 3-4 fish on at a time. Every drift we picked 3-5 keepers until it dried up - lots of quality 3-5#ers plus plenty of 18-20" keepers. Highlight of that spot was when I snuck up to the bow, got hammered, and thought I had the fish of a lifetime on - Joe came up with the net, and when we saw the shadow come out we thought it was a MONSTER, turned out to be a double header - top hook was a 27" 7# fluke and the bottom hook had a 18" keeper on it LOL.

By noon time we had the crew's limit and looked like we were cruising to the full boat limit but everything shut down - the wind shifted straight N and the current kicked in harder and what was a good bite turned into sea robins, short fluke, and dogfish central.  Bounced around a little more, just couldn't get any more keepers.

Wound up with the 5 man limit of 25 plus 1 or 2 more, LOADS of shorts (easily boated 150) plus a few lucky seabass that were very lucky - we also had 3 double headers - Ray, Frank, and Mike each had limits with Fred and John both getting 4 each. We had 8 fish between 3-5 #, plus the one 7#er. Turned out to be a good day despite a slow start!! Nice bags of meat for the guys - great crew as always!

9/6:  Had Tim B's crew on today from the way way yonder part of PA (3 hours to pp) for his buddy Steve's bachelor party festivities. For most of the crew, it was their first or one of their first saltwater fishing experiences.

We broke the inlet around 7 and found things to be a tad bit dicey with the NNE wind, current, and just a nasty big heave with a wind chop - we opted to wait it out in the river to wait for things to settle.

River was slow, just a few shorts and 1 keeper. By 10:30 the ocean laid down enough for us to sneak out locally and fish some spots where we heard there were fish. Very slow go to start, just a few shorts and more lucky would-be keeper seabass that went back. Finally, at 1:45, we finally got a good pick going of all keeper fluke and wound up boxing 5 on our last drift topped by a 4.5#er by John.... But, We had to bag it at 2 because the guys had to be back out in PA at their home by 6PM.

That last drift was real good and if we stayed we would've really put a hurting on the fish but sometimes ya gotta leave em' biting. Wound up with 8 fish, most real nice fish and 3 of them were right on the mark. A good day, and for the guys who never did this before they conquered the learning curve!

Monday 8/19 Update - Fluke, Bluefish
Written by Capt.Allen   
Monday, 19 August 2013 19:09

We've been very busy the last week or so, and it's been hard to keep up with the reports.  In general, fluke fishing has been good both up north and on our local reefs and hills, while bluefishing for the cocktails 10 miles NE of our inlet still is very good, wit some bonito mixing in.  ALL PICS ARE IN THE GALLERY!

Here are the reports:

Monday 8/19:  Had Joe S's 5-man charter on board today for some light tackle bluefish jigging. Left the dock @ 730 and Ran back to where we and the fleet have been catching the smaller blues the last month and read the motherlode - dropped the jigs and had immediate action with cocktail and taylor sized bluefish.
We basically had 1-4 fish on at a time for the rest of the morning - the action was as good as it was when it started a few weeks back and we held the fish on all morning long. The only time we didn't catch was when we weren't reading them.The fish were spitting up 3-4" sandeels, some were alive when they got spit up on deck. There are LOADS of sandeels in this area.The guys wound up boating well over 150+ bluefish in the 1-4# range, with a most being 1-3#. Sanjay got our only bonito of the day, a nice 4#er that put up a great fight on a trout rod, and Vinny was high hook landing over 50 himself and he also hooked into a cownose before the hook pulled.Wound up keeping the crew's limit of 75, + the 1 bonito. Great morning - the guys were done by 1230 and we were back to the dock by 1. Great trip with happy anglers!

Sunday 8/18:  Had a full 6 man crew for a fluke trip today. Ran right back to where we left them biting Saturday afternoon and had fish on immediately. First 2 drifts - 4 keepers. Thought we were gonna have another good day.After those 4, things went downhill fast. The NE wind picked up, seas got a bit sporty, and drifting conditions got a tad bit fast. We bounced around, rockpile to rockpile, tried a few hills, tried some spots in on the sand, and we had nothing but shorts.
Later in the day we got a call of some fish being caught a bit north of where we were, so we headed there, and caught even more shorts.  One last stop on a hill to the E of our inlet put 1 more keeper in the boat along with a few more shorts. At that point the wind again started getting some more teeth and most of the crew had had enough.  At 2 we headed for the dock a little early with just 5 keepers and maybe 30 shorts for the day - SI Frank led the way with 3 keepers (real good job by him on a day like today). Very tough day - yesterday was one for the books, today (sunday) was the polar opposite! Great crew of mostly new guys to the boat, hope to see the guys back again in the future!

Saturday 8/17:  Had the FSOS tourney today with the regular crew of Larry, Fred, Ryan and Brian along with Kenny and I.  Broke the inlet early and had lines in around 6 am. Got a great sunrise to start the day [Smile] Fishing to start off was a pick, and we had some nice fish flying over the rails early.At around 7 Fred decked a personal best, 8.55# fluke - congrats Fred!!! We continued to pick, slowly, and were putting a nice catch together. Once we stopped getting bites, we moved to another piece, and got a few more, and it was that way until around 10 AM.At 10 we made a move to deeper water offshore, but that simply stunk as we had just a couple of shorts.  So, we moved back inshore to finish up the day. Got some more keepers, quite a few more shorts, and finally got a real good bite going at the very end of the day before we had to shoot in for weigh-ins where Kenny got a nice 6# fish + 4 more keepers to top off the box.
When we weighed in Fred's 8.55#er was 3rd, but since then I believe that has changed. Either way, great fish and congrats to Fred. Ryan, Brian and Fred all had limits +, Kenny caught his limit, while Larry and I also put some nice fish in the box. We wound up easily boxing a boat limit of fluke + (probably had ~36 keepers for the day) keeping only our legal limit.  Great day fluking with some great friends. Back at it tomorrow, hope it holds up!!

Friday 8/16:  Today we ran another FTYP marathon trip with Mr. X, Ryan, Fred, Bill H, and Pete M - we had one fare back out last minute because of an emergency work commitment. I felt bad for him.Since we've been fishing the same general areas for weeks, I decided to take a look in a different direction today (with 2 slow trips in a row) and took a loooong run up the beach. First drop just had a handful of shorts. Second drop the same. Third drop, a little further up the line, more of the same.Finally made a move to deeper water, and found very good action with shorts and keepers. Drifted this area, "carpet bombed" it for about 2 hours, and pounded out 17 keepers with 3X as many shorts coming up. Once we lost the drift, the bite slowed, so we made a move to deeper water where there was some current, and again found a bite again with shorts and keepers in the mix.  Once that dried up, we made another move a little northeast of where we were, and it was game on again. For the last 2 hours, we plucked 2-4 keepers per drift until it was time to go home. Lots of nice quality fish on that last drop, topped by Fred's 7# er and a couple other 3-6#ers. Fred also decked a 24", ~5# seabass which was released unharmed. God was that fish lucky the season's closed [Cool] For the day, we wound up boating well over 100 fluke, and the guys easily boxed their limit of keeper fluke for the day. A good portion of the keepers were in the 17.5-19" range, but we also had enough of those 20-23" fish to make it interesting. Fred was high hook again today, finishing one fish shy of a triple limit (he had 14 keepers!) and took the big fish of the day. Today was simply a great day of fishing with a great bunch of regulars - and another day of 30 + keepers for the boat!!! Back at it tomorrow for the FSOS tourney, looking for a slob [Smile]

Thursday 8/15:  Had the guys from the SWABC on board today for one of their annual charters. Great group of guys as usual led by Dennis and Frank.
Ran back to where we've been catching, and found shorts and still a 1 knot drift early. Bounced around, finally got our first keeper when we went offshore around 8 and got a couple more.  By 930 the wind laid down enough for us to work off a bit more on some rough stuff, and the first piece we hit had good life when we had a drift where we picked a good amount of shorts and some nice keepers.  Second spot was dead, third was loaded with shorts, and the fourth offshore had a few shorts and 1 keeper.We then shot back inshore to finish up the day and got a couple more keepers and a couple more shorts.  Overall, it was a tough day. Lots of short fluke, some keepers, and just another grinder of a day where we had to hunt and peck to scratch up a catch. We wound up with 10 in the box - biggest went 5# by Dennis Jr. All but one of those keepers was over 20", so we did have some quality fish but just not enough of them.  

Wednesday 8/14:  Had another FTYP marathon trip today with Fred, Bill H, Eddie, and Tom K. Ran back to the same general area where we've been catching them, but inshore to start to explore a bit with the already cranking NW wind. Had lines in by 620 and had our first keeper by 625. Next 2 drifts each produced a keeper and shorts, so we stayed at it. By 715, that bite we had completely dried up and by 8-830, the NW "hawk" was truly in town as it was BLOWING.  Fished in tight, tried the deep, moved to a few different areas, all we caught were shorts and 2 weakfish.Finally got a call my buddy had a good bite going on back where we started, so we got there, and the bite was OK - picked 4 more keepers there and then it again dried up.Tried a few more spots before we went home but that was it. At one point we were dragging bait with 16 or more ounces. That was a true delight LOL   Wound up with 7 keepers to 3.5#, 2 weakfish, and a couple of very lucky seabass. Overall a very tough day with the conditions, as the wind was truly relentless all day.

Monday 8/12: Had Hurricane Dave's charter on today for a fluke trip. Ran out to where we've been catching them and had good life right away, picking away at keepers and shorts. Our third keeper of the morning was Silent Don's personal best, just shy of 8#. Real nice fish!  Bounced around most of the morning, picking a few here and there, nothing spectacular though.   We then made another move later in the morning and got into some more life with more nice keepers coming up and some good short life, and we continued with a slow but steady pick throughout the rest of the day.  For the day, Craig, Barry, Don, Randy, and Dave all had limits of fluke -- we had 6 fish over 4#, with several in the 3-5# bracket, and 3 over 6#. Top fish was Don's which was mentioned earlier. We wound up with a real nice catch of 26 keepers + 1 ling. Real nice day with a great, fun crew!

Saturday 8/10: Had Paul's charter on today. Ran out to where we've been catching the fluke and had a very slow pick -- the swell definitely had them off. The guys decided to try in on the beach for croakers - NG. Then we switched gears again and headed up the line for bluefish... Bite wasn't as good as it's been but the guys still wrecked them and we held 2-4 fish on at a time. In 2 drifts, we were done! Boxed up a load and landed about 75. Finished up fluking, and got a few more. Wound up keeping about 30 blues and had 4 keeper fluke to 4#.

Sunday 8/11: FTYP trip today with Tom, Scott, Steve, Andrew, and Pat Sr and Jr. Slow pick all day, till we got into a bite later. Ground out 19 nice keepers to 5#. Scott was on fire all day landing his limit + and getting the biggest fish of the day. Tough day, but the guys definitely worked hard at it and were rewarded with a nice mess of keepers.
Written by Capt.Allen   
Wednesday, 07 August 2013 06:45

Weds 8/7 Update --- We are not out today, but over the last week we've seen some generally good fluke fishing with a couple of slow days, and when we've done it, excellent bluefishing for cocktail and taylor sized blues.  **ALL PICTURES ARE IN THE GALLERY**

Here are the specifics:

Thurs 8/1:  Was supposed to have a charter with some out of town guys today, but after they saw the forecast and there was some risk in running the trip, the guys decided to postpone the trip towards the end of the month.

After making some calls last night that we could possibly get a short fun trip in with some local guys, we decided it would be a go since the weather was nice so we left the slip just before 6 and were fishing by 630. Real slow start, we bounced around and finally found some life, and then proceeded to "carpet bomb" the area picking a few fish every drift. All nice quality "NMR's" of 20-24" -- as well as a couple of nice seabass one of which was a legit 3#.

That bite dried up, we tried a different area, and finished off the boat limit (20 fish) by 10AM just as the rain started.

It was a real nice quick trip, and filling a full limit in 3 1/2 hours was nice -- fishing wasn't red hot but we found one nice patch and pounded them. Biggest fish was 4-4.5# taken by Fred.

Fri 8/2:   Had Doug's crew on today filled by Phil R. With high hopes following yesterday's fluking, we headed back to the same general area only to find a few fish and a general lack of bites. Ran around, and never picked more than a fish or two anywhere else, so the crew asked about switching gears specifically targeting bluefish and we obliged.

So, we ran up the line a bit, found the taylor and cocktail blues, and proceeded to catch a load in around an hour's time. The guys easily boated 150, and since every one of the guys in the crew and their families loved bluefish, we kept ~75 of them for the guys.

We finished up the day fluking, but the S wind and S current made the drift real fast but we still put a few more in the box.  Wound up with the 75 or so bluefish in the box, 7 fluke (biggest 5# by young Dennis who had 4 keepers!), and a half dozen chunky seabass.

Saturday 8/3:  Capt Kenny and deckhand Eddie had Chris "Honger's" charter on for a fluke trip.  The guys fished where we've been fishing and despite rain and some breeze conditions, the guys SLAMMED the fluke to 6.5# all day long, catching a full boat limit by 11AM (40 keepers).  They played C&R till 1PM and then called it a day.  Fishing was INSANE all morning long and about 80% of the fish they caught were keepers, very few shorts --- also they had a dozen fish in the 3-6# range.  Great day!

Sunday 8/4:  Had Mark H and his buddy Bobby on (their original charter was supposed to be the weekend Sandy hit) for a makeup trip, but since the guys couldn't get their whole crew together we filled it with Ryan, Jeremiah, Peter and John O.

Ran back to where Kenny had them yesterday and found a small armada of boats drifting for fluke, we set up on some new #'s and had a little pick going with some fish here and there. Nothing to write home about but we'd pick a couple here and there.

We then bounced around picking some here and there, going through some crazy lulls of simply no bites, and some shots of trash fish, but we pieced it together throughout the morning. By 12:30 the drift completely died so we took a ride offshore to fish a couple of wrecks in the 80' range and found zero life on them fluke-wise, so we ran back inshore and finished up where we started.

We finally got a nice NW breeze going by around 2 and the pick again started up and we found some real nice fish to finish up the day.

For the day we had 23 keeper fluke, 20 of which were over 20", topped by Jeremiah's 6#er. Jeremiah and Ryan both had their limits, and Bobby and Mark both had 3 each. We also had 2 nice knucklehead seabass in the box. Overall it was a grind today, but we wound up with a nice mess of fish and pieced together a real nice catch.

Monday 8/5:  Ran our open FTYP today with Fred, Larry, John, and Doug. Ran back to where we had them this weekend.

Brisk wind this morning HARD NW made for a fast drift, but it was nice n cool which was nice for a change. We started out picking a bit, but it was slow b/c the drift was a tad too fast.

Once the wind backed off we bounced around some rockpiles and slowly picked away. We had a few real nice flurries and the box filled up as we just worked our way around all day long. Some shorts, but most of our keepers were again "NMR's" and most were in that 20-24" range with a few in the 18-20" range also. Big fish went to Doug with a 23" 4# fluke, Larry had 8 keepers, John had his limit, and Doug and Fred each wound up with 4 while Kenny and I each put a few in the box.

Wound up with the crew's limit + some extra and a nice seabass. Real nice trip even though it was a grind at times, another one with a couple dozen quality keepers +... The good fishing continues!

Tuesday 8/6:  Had Derial's crew on today for a bluefish trip.  Ran out to the motherlode, got on them early, and had instantaneous, non-stop action for 2 hours on spinning rods and 007 or 17's. Also had a few bluefish on poppers.

Once the guys had enough of that, we went out into the hole to look around at some pots for mahi, but that came up empty, and then we tried trolling around the pots and some bait marks with cedar plugs and clark spoons and again came up empty.  Finished up back inshore with the bluefish.

Called it a day before noon with 200 + cocktail and taylor sized blues to 3# boated, and 1 stray 18" Pollock. The boys kept about 30 of the blues for the grill for tonight, the rest were released.

Great trip with a great crew!
7/30 Update -- Flukin'
Written by Capt.Allen   
Tuesday, 30 July 2013 05:55

We've had mixed results the last few trips.  A hard NE blow kept us in the river Thursday and Friday last week, but we were finally able to get back to the ocean after 5 days on Saturday for the PP Elks tourney, and also on Monday for a FTYP trip.

In sum, here's what's going on:

Thurs/Fri river trips both fished around morning high tides, were much slower than earlier in terms of keepers, but shorts are literally paving our river.  Shorts meaning real shorts, from 6"-14" all over the place.  Each trip we managed 2 keepers, but that was it out of ~75 fish trip (both trips were half-days).

Saturday for the PP Elks Capt Kenny had the boat with Larry, Brian, Ryan, Fred, and Tommy -- they were looking for that one big fish and fished their tails off all day.  Capt Kenny basically fished 4 spots all day, only 2 of which produced fluke.  The guys were able to grind out their 5 man limit of 25, but the best fish they took was a 6.1#er by Fred late in the day.

Monday's FTYP trip was all about conditions.  Morning saw no drift, and just a few bites, so we made a move and had a couple of very good drifts, followed by a dramatic lull.  We poked around a few spots we haven't fished in some time and found little life, so we shot back to where we had them and finished with a slow pick of mostly quality keepers in the 20-23" range.  Also had seabass in the mix, some real nice ones.  Wound up with a total of 21 fish in the box for Monday's trip - biggest fluke was 4#.  Bill, Jim, John, and Mike each had 4 -- no limits today.
7/23 Update - GOOD FLUKING!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Tuesday, 23 July 2013 17:23

The last few trips, Sunday-Tuesday have yielded excellent catches of fluke.  We had 18 keepers sunday, a limit Monday, and a 6 man crew limit Tuesday!!  Doc Sokol is our new seasonal leader for big fluke, and we have a couple other new "entries" into the top 5, check it out!!

Open boat trips next week, chartered the rest of this week!!!

Come on down!!

All pics in gallery!!
Friday 7/12 Update
Written by Capt.Allen   
Friday, 12 July 2013 08:49

We've had a semi-busy week this week, but weather has forced us to cancel the last 2 trips.  Here's the summary:

Tuesday 7/9:  Ran a FTYP trip today with Larry, Fred, Tommy, Brian, Les and Gabe. Ran out to the northeast to some hard bottom and had some life early - shorts, a couple of keepers, some ling, and a whiting!  Once that dried up we bounced around the rough stuff, only picking one or two here or there with a couple of seabass and ling mixed in, but no great shakes.

So we made a move to the east to a hill and finally found some decent life. 3-5 keepers per drift, with shorts mixed in was what we had for the next 2 hours. We picked away, and put a real nice catch together. A good amount of fish were in the 3-5 # range, with very few "measurable" keepers, most were NMR's!

Once that dried up, we Finished up inshore on another lump, had a couple more, but the south wind made the drift a tad too fast.

When all was said and done we had 28 fluke in the box to 5.2 # (taken by Brian), 6 ling, 3 seabass and 1 whiting. Larry and Fred both had their limits, and Tommy led the way with 9 topped by a 5# fish. Real nice day for Tom! The other guys all did a nice job as well, as Brian had 4 just missing his limit.

Wednesday 7/10:  Ran another FTYP marathon trip today.  Much harder S wind then yesterday and the fishing really took a hit -- we basically had a 1-2 knot drift all day long, which certainly affected the fishing.  Nevertheless, we Ran back to where we had them on Tuesday, but only had some shorts and a couple of keepers, one of which was an 8#er by Capt Kenny.  Otherwise, we had shorts, skates, sea robins, and a couple of spotted hake.  Ran all over thereafter, trying to find some life, wound up down south, but everything was OFF.  Called it a day around 2 to beat the storms.

Thursday 7/11:  We had our ling trip today, but unfortunately, the weatherman completely blew the forecast as we had a HARD SW wind and rain most of the day.  If we were fluke fishing in on the beach, we would've been OK, but to make a 20 mile run offshore and get beat up out there it just wasn't worth it.  We are rescheduling the trip for Friday 7/26!

Friday 7/12:  Cancelled today's FTYP trip... NE winds 15-20 all day! Arggghhhh!!!


*All pics in gallery*
7/5-7/7 Update -- Fluke & Bottom Fish!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Monday, 08 July 2013 06:09

In summary before you read the reports -- fluke fishing is TOUGH right now, while bottom fishing is still very good.  Lots of ling, still some seabass with the cold water from the hard south, and cod are in the mix as well as out of season winter flounder and blackfish.  Also heard of some whiting around too!

Sun 7/7:  Capt Kenny and Jimmy had a full crew of 6 for an open FTYP trip today with Larry, Doc, Dave, Steve, John T, and John O.  Ran north, and fished the stretch between Asbury and Monmouth beach all day long. Fishing generally was very slow, as there was simply a lack of bites and very few fish coming up on the bucktails.

For the day they boated around 30 fluke, of which 8 were keepers to 21" and 1 keeper seabass. Doc and Larry led the way with 3 keepers each.  Needless to say a very tough day fishing dirty water with generally crappy conditions. Back at it Tuesday!

FYI - the pic below of Larry and Jimmy is the end result of an "epic", "five-star" prank they played on me that tripled my blood pressure at a few points today. Thanks a lot guys! My wife got a kick out of it, as did you [EEK!] LOL

Sat 7/6:  Had Les Gray and the Fish On! club on again from MD. Initially the plan was to fluke fish but with our so-so results from Friday we gave the guys the option to switch the trip to a bottom fishing trip and they obliged.

Started off on a small spot 8 miles E of our inlet in 80' and had a slow but steady pick of nice seabass and a few ling. Couldn't anchor on it so we power drifted and picked away. We also caught a couple of tinker mackerel on the beaded hooks - first time I've seen tinkers inshore in awhile.
Once that dried up we hit two more wrecks a little bit north still in the 75-85' range and had just a few seabass and ling, so we shot offshore to fish some pieces in 100-125'.

First drop we had a few nice seabass and ling, then we settled in and had a real nice shot of codfish with a dozen coming up real quick, but only 2 made it to the box (both were 22"). Loads of pout on this spot. Bounced around out in the deep, found loads of bergalls, the occasional keeper seabass and ling, but couldn't really get it going.

We then hit a wreck a little north of where we were on the inside of the hole in 125' and we found the motherlode of ling with a few seabass mixed in. Several double headers, lots of nice 2-4# ling came up. We also had 2 jumbo winter flounder (both released!) and one 4# blackfish (also released) come up along with one huge sea raven and more banana cod.

When the guys had enough with the ling, we tried for more seabass on the way in and hit a couple of wrecks around 65' but couldn't buy a bite on them.  Finished with well over 100 ling, maybe ~120 or so in the box, a couple dozen seabass, and the 2 keeper cod. Real nice day, the guys went home with loads of meat. Back to fluking tomorrow - hope it bounces back!

Fri 7/5:  Very quick report since it's a day late.  Got off to a great start with Barry's nice 6# fish (on the digital), but we had a slow pick throughout the rest of the day catching some shorts n keepers.

Also had a few seabass and ling.

Very tough day for us!

6/25 - 6/28 Reports - Fluke & Bottom Fishing
Written by Capt.Allen   
Saturday, 29 June 2013 07:15

Fri 6/28:  Originally had a marathon trip planned today but with the crappy forecast I gave the guys the option to reschedule or fish the river/bay, so they decided to do the latter.

Left the slip and made the uncharacteristic left hand turn out of clark's and went through the canal to fish Barnegat Bay for the end of the outgoing. Had a good bite at first with mostly keeper sized fluke, and we had a couple of real good flurries, but that dried up once we lost the current. We had 7 in the box by 9 along with a handful of shorts, so we then made the run to the river to get the current again and picked and plucked everywhere.

The closer we got to the inlet the colder the water got, so we stayed in the back and picked away at more shorts and some more keepers.

Fred got his limit of 5, Ryan had 3, Bob had 1 and Kenny and I put a few in the box. Overall, for fishing INSIDE, we had a very good day. Out of around 25 fluke we boated, 12 made it to the box to 21" - most of those fish were in the 18-20" range and only two fell in that 17.5"-18" category. No other by-catch, just some nice scrappy fluke! Real nice day, and it was good using the trout rods to catch fluke!

Thurs 6/27:  Had Bill B take the boat for the day with his son Liam and friend Mike, and we filled the charter with Bill H and Pete. Plan was to bottom fish all day.  Ran out to our NE where we've been doing good with the seabass. No current or wind to speak of so we had to drift. Picked a few here and there but fishing was VERY slow. Left there with only a dozen keepers and took a long ride up north where some ling were being caught.

Fishing in 60' depths we had a slow pick of seabass and ling with an occasional fluke in the mix on the hook. We also had a "red hot" pick of giant silver eels, landing a total of 12 snakes to about 4' long LOL  Once that "dried" up we went prospecting, fishing a little shallower and as deep as 90' and picked a few ling and seabass everywhere we went. No great shakes though.

Finished up where we started on the hook with the S wind and seas building and had a few nice flurries of seabass to finish up.

We wound up with around 70 keeper seabass and 20 ling, and 1 keeper fluke for the day. Biggest seabass was taken by Liam which was around 3.5#. A good day, but it was a real grind but at least we got the guys some meat!

Tues 6/25:  Capt Kenny and supermate Jimmy had Larry, Fred, Brian, Ryan, and Adam on board today for this summer's first FTYP marathons.
Ran north, started out in tight, and within the first 45 minutes or so the guys boxed up 5 nice fluke to 4.5#. After that things SHUT OFF.

Bounced around, fished inshore, offshore, only picked a few shorts and a seabass and ling. Lots of current off the beach made for tough fishing, so it was back inshore. In on the beach, they finally found a nice patch of fluke and proceeded to "carpet bomb" LOL the patch for awhile piecing together a nice catch with loads of shorts in the mix.

A few more stops down the beach on the way home yielded a few more shorts, no more keepers.

By day's end the boys boxed up 20 keeper fluke to 4.5# (also had a few others right around 4#), a couple of nice seabass and 1 ling along with loads of short fluke. Real nice day with a great crew of regulars, and the guys had nice sacks of meat to take home.

Fluke fishing is picking up and is pretty darn good right now- we will be at it all summer long, everyday so check the website for the FTYP schedule under the open boat banner.

**All Pics in Gallery!!**
6/23 Weekend Wrap-Up -- Excellent Seabass Fishing!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Monday, 24 June 2013 04:28

Very quick report for this weekend's charters...

Saturday 6/22 we had the Fish On! Fishing club from MD onboard for seabassing - the crew led by Les had a great day catching their limit of seabass to 3# plus 4 ling.  Fishing was very good!

Sunday 6/23 we had Tom's charter on board for a half day morning trip.  Fishing was a little slower, until we found a piece that was loaded and we were able to get the guys ~60 keepers before we headed in around 12:30.  Biggest seabass was around 2.5#

Seabass fishing is EXCELLENT right now, and it might even get better since a lot of the fish are on the spawn.  Cash in on this action NOW!

**Pics in Gallery**
6/13 - Mid Week update
Written by Capt.Allen   
Thursday, 13 June 2013 17:28

Very quick, midweek update.  Weather Thursday and Friday has forced us to can the trips, and a minor electrical issue on the boat forced us to postpone Wednesday's trip, but Sunday we ran an open trip with a full crew and had high hopes on the bass front, only to have them never materialize as we had 2 bluefish in nearly 4 hours of bass fishing.  We ran off to some new areas to seabass fish once the crew lost hope on the bass, and we did well with mostly 13-14" seabass with ~60 going in the box in 3 hours.  On the ride home, we made a stop on a bunker pod with good readings and was able to pull one nice bass out of it, which was Andrew's very first bass!  Overall a nice day of fishing.

We will be back at it this weekend, weather permitting!


*Pics in gallery!*
Saturday 6/1 Seabass N Ling
Written by Capt.Allen   
Sunday, 02 June 2013 09:09
Saturday 6/1:  Had Joel and crew on board today to first look for some bass then switch over to seabass & bottom fishing.

Ran north, found plenty of bunker, and filled one well with around 40 pieces in no time. Made some calls, found no one was catching, so we let the bunkers swim in their livewell for awhile while we went seabassin' with hopes the bass would show up later.

Ran off to where Kenny caught them Thursday, but found 3 boats right on the piece and around it - tried some pieces adjacent to this one but only had a handful of seabass and ling come up.

We then went offshore a couple miles more to some rocks in 70' and found what we were looking for. Great readings, and lots of hungry seabass and ling. The bite was never drop and reel, but we had a nice steady pick for a few hours of quality seabass and ling with the occasional out of season blackfish in the mix. Most of the bass were keepers, with quite a few 2-3#ers coming up and several over 3# topped by Chris's 4#er.

Once the bite dried up, we'd make a little wiggle and would catch a few more, just piecing it together. The readings were insane, the fish are there... But as the S wind and S current picked up the water temp dropped and the fishing slowed significantly. We never got to swim those bunkers as no bass bite materialized [Frown]

At day's end We wound up with ~80+ seabass + 30ish ling, with quite a few of the ling in the 2-3# range mixed in with some smaller ones. The guys went home with nice full bags of meat - great crew they were a lot of fun!! Thanks again for coming down guys!
Attached Thumbnails
5/30 Update - FLUKE, Seabass, Bass...
Written by Capt.Allen   
Thursday, 30 May 2013 20:55

We've run a few trips in the last week, and fishing has been generally up and down.

Thursday 5/23:  Capt Kenny ran an open boat trip and had a good bass bite in the morning, fishing live bunker real close to home.  The guys went 5-15 on bass to 36# with Rob's being the big fish for the day (and thus far for the year).

Monday 5/27:  AM Trip Capt Allen took a full OB crew up north in search of bass.  We got into the bunker real good off Deal and filled the livewells fast.  Bass were nowhere to be found.  Not one bite!  On the troll - still fishless.  Finished up fluking off Monmouth Beach the last 90 minutes and had good action with the flatties, boating around 20 with 6 keepers getting to the boat to 21".  All fluke were taken on gulp/bunker strips.

PM Trip Capt Kenny took a full OB crew again north in the south wind in search of bass.  They tried working live baits off spring lake on some great readings but had no takers.  At around 2 we had a small mechanical issue with our rudder/steering, and had to call it a day early.  NO FISH were caught by us in the few hours we tried or the whole fleet :(

Thursday 5/30:  Capt Kenny had Mark's crew from N. Carolina and NJ on board for bass.  Making bait was easy, but again we had ZERO bass.  Seabass fishing was EXCELLENT however, as the crew boated over 100 seabass with ~75 making it to the box plus a dozen ling - they also released a jumbo winter flounder and a few pout.  Great day!

All pics in gallery
5/30 Update - FLUKE, Seabass, Bass...
Written by Capt.Allen   
Thursday, 30 May 2013 20:55

We've run a few trips in the last week, and fishing has been generally up and down.

Thursday 5/23:  Capt Kenny ran an open boat trip and had a good bass bite in the morning, fishing live bunker real close to home.  The guys went 5-15 on bass to 36# with Rob's being the big fish for the day (and thus far for the year).

Monday 5/27:  AM Trip Capt Allen took a full OB crew up north in search of bass.  We got into the bunker real good off Deal and filled the livewells fast.  Bass were nowhere to be found.  Not one bite!  On the troll - still fishless.  Finished up fluking off Monmouth Beach the last 90 minutes and had good action with the flatties, boating around 20 with 6 keepers getting to the boat to 21".  All fluke were taken on gulp/bunker strips.

PM Trip Capt Kenny took a full OB crew again north in the south wind in search of bass.  They tried working live baits off spring lake on some great readings but had no takers.  At around 2 we had a small mechanical issue with our rudder/steering, and had to call it a day early.  NO FISH were caught by us in the few hours we tried or the whole fleet :(

Thursday 5/30:  Capt Kenny had Mark's crew from N. Carolina and NJ on board for bass.  Making bait was easy, but again we had ZERO bass.  Seabass fishing was EXCELLENT however, as the crew boated over 100 seabass with ~75 making it to the box plus a dozen ling - they also released a jumbo winter flounder and a few pout.  Great day!

All pics in gallery
5/30 Update - FLUKE, Seabass, Bass...
Written by Capt.Allen   
Thursday, 30 May 2013 20:55

We've run a few trips in the last week, and fishing has been generally up and down.

Thursday 5/23:  Capt Kenny ran an open boat trip and had a good bass bite in the morning, fishing live bunker real close to home.  The guys went 5-15 on bass to 36# with Rob's being the big fish for the day (and thus far for the year).

Monday 5/27:  AM Trip Capt Allen took a full OB crew up north in search of bass.  We got into the bunker real good off Deal and filled the livewells fast.  Bass were nowhere to be found.  Not one bite!  On the troll - still fishless.  Finished up fluking off Monmouth Beach the last 90 minutes and had good action with the flatties, boating around 20 with 6 keepers getting to the boat to 21".  All fluke were taken on gulp/bunker strips.

PM Trip Capt Kenny took a full OB crew again north in the south wind in search of bass.  They tried working live baits off spring lake on some great readings but had no takers.  At around 2 we had a small mechanical issue with our rudder/steering, and had to call it a day early.  NO FISH were caught by us in the few hours we tried or the whole fleet :(

Thursday 5/30:  Capt Kenny had Mark's crew from N. Carolina and NJ on board for bass.  Making bait was easy, but again we had ZERO bass.  Seabass fishing was EXCELLENT however, as the crew boated over 100 seabass with ~75 making it to the box plus a dozen ling - they also released a jumbo winter flounder and a few pout.  Great day!

All pics in gallery
5/19 Weekend Wrap-Up
Written by Capt.Allen   
Wednesday, 22 May 2013 04:41

Weekend Wrap-up:

Had "Flukemaster" Larry on with his crew for his traditional fluke season opener trip. With good conditions today we decided to make the long run up the beach and fish around Sandy Hook on some real good early season spots that have produced over the years.

First drop was inside Sandy Hook Bay, and we had some life with shorts and one quick keeper by Larry, followed by some jumbo birds.

We then made some more moves right around the same area, then down the beach a bit where we had more life fishing in real tight (8-10' of water) and picked a few more shorts and another keeper by Tommy.

By noon time fishing stayed the same - VERY SLOW - so we decided to run back down the beach and finish up livelining/chunking for bass.

Got bait fairly easily, and at first we went up on the hook to chunk, but that was unproductive so we went up on the drift and went about 3-6 with the live bunker with the biggest bass being Tommy's 18#er. We also had a couple of monster bluefish on the bunker.

While livelining, Larry kept bucktailing and nailed a beautiful 4# fish in the rough stuff.

Overall it was a slow day, but the crew was awesome as usual. We boated ~12 fluke with 3 being keepers, as well as the bass and bluefish.

SUNDAY was a blow-out, rescheduling w/ the guys on the OB trip.

Monday/Thursday Bass (Or Lack Thereof) Reports 5/13-5/17
Written by Capt.Allen   
Friday, 17 May 2013 16:20

Monday/Thursday Reports (5/13 & 5/16)

Capt Kenny was at the helm for two trips this week on Monday and Thursday.

Monday they got one fish early on the troll up north, then made a move down south and didn't have another bite.

Thursday, they ran from our inlet up to north of the rocks, then back south of our inlet, and only got one skinned bunker and not even a fish in the boat :(

Tough fishing this week, hoping this coming week is better.  The water temps went from 60ish to the low 50's, and the bass are starting to spawn, so those two issues could be contributing to the poor fishing.

Saturday we'll be fluking!

Sunday 5/5 Bass Report
Written by Capt.Allen   
Monday, 06 May 2013 05:19

We had a full crew for an open boat trip today consisting of Dave, Ryan, John, Bill H, Scott, Steve - a small "mechanical" issue on Reel Class made us relocate to another boat, so we had the pleasure of teaming up with my long time neighbor at Clark's Capt Dan McGivney on his 38' Henriques Megan Beth so that we could get the trip in.

We were greeted early by a stiff NE breeze, making seas generally lumpy, sloppy, and confused as we worked our way north. Once we got up in the Deal-Monmouth Beach stretch we started marking some fish on the machine, and the guys started working the big kroc spoons, stingo's and hammered 67's. We had 2 good cracks at the fish when they were really stacked up, but only hooked a few - drift was wicked fast!

We then wound up putting the wire out and started pulling shad rigs behind the boat, and we picked and plucked away for the rest of the morning. We went 8-10 on the troll with bass, all nice healthy fish in the 32-38" range with the biggest fish pushing 22# and close to 40". We also had 2 small bluefish on the rigs.

Another pass with the trolling gear late in the day just N of our inlet came up empty - but we put in a long day and got the guys on the meat.

We wound up with 9 bass in the box, all nice fish, and the 2 bluefish. Great crew onboard as well, and it was good finally seeing some of my regulars after a LONG/extended winter since Sandy and this crazy spring. And, it was great teaming up with Dan to put these guys on some fish - thanks again!!!

Saturday 4/27 Bass
Written by Capt.Allen   
Sunday, 28 April 2013 17:55

4/27 - First trip of the season today with hurricane Dave n his crew targeting bass. Broke our inlet early and got set up waaaaay up north by 8. Had a few right away then it died - we missed the early bite - caught them again on the change with more bites and more fish, just lots of real short shorts. Most of the shorts were in the 18-25" range but got each of the guys a keeper to Dave's 14#er. Slack tide was brutally slow and we tried trolling up in the bay and at the mouth, but had no knockdowns but saw some great readings of fish.  When we finished up clamming we heard of a little jig bite a couple miles even further up the line, checked it out, but again we were there a tad too late :(

On the way home we tried 2 drops for blackfish - but Toggin was horrible.

Either way, it was a Nice way to start the season with a great crew.  With the jig fish starting to show (the jig bite was better today, Sunday 4/28) we will most likely focus on that next weekend.  We do have openings for 5/4 and 5/5!!!
4/12 Update! In the Water and Ready to Go!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Friday, 12 April 2013 18:10


We are in the water and are ready to go!  The boat splashed Thursday 4/11 and we got her right to her slip.  We have a couple more little jobs to do but we should be fishing by next weekend (4/20ish).

In regards as to what we're going to target --- that's anyone's guess right now.  Bass haven't showed yet, and bottom fishing is on the slow side.  Winter flounder fishing is still decent so that might also be an option.

If all goes well, we will be sailing Saturday 4/20 - I will email everyone and post on the usual websites as well as here if we will be sailing open.

Tight lines!! Here's to a great 2013!!!
Happy New Year! 2013 Will be our 10th Season!
Written by Capt.Allen   
Tuesday, 01 January 2013 09:23

Happy New Year everyone!

We are right on schedule to start out the 2013 season, which will be our 10th, right around April 1st.  We've taken the time to update all open boat fares and charter fares - the best part is we've SIMPLIFIED things for our clients and made things as affordable as they can be while keeping things FAIR.  Check out the open boat and charter page for this updated and streamlined information.

Keep an eye out for more news in the coming weeks - we hope everyone has a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2013!!!


Point Pleasant Fishing

Trip Deposit

Pay Now